Everybody knows that you need to brush and floss to have healthy teeth. But how many people actually follow that advice? How many brush our teeth for two minutes twice a day and floss? It is actually less than 20%! It is no surprise that teeth cleaning Clinton MD clinics are so popular. Let’s take a look at some other fun facts about teeth.
- Women who have both chest pain and a sore jaw are more likely to have a heart attack.
- 38.5 days in the average person’s lifetime are spent brushing.
- 73% of people prefer grocery shopping over floss shopping.
- Keeping your toothbrush in a bathroom with toilet is risky. When you flush, airborne particles filled with germs land on your toothbrush.
- Around $500,000,000 is spent each year on chewing gum in this country.
- Our oral health has improved a lot over the past 10 years.
- 40% of kids between 6 and 19 have cavities. This is down from 80% just 10 years ago.
- There has been an 8% decline in tooth loss in people over 60 in the past 10 years.
- Smokers are more likely to lose their teeth.
- Socio-economic status and oral health are closely related. Untreated dental issues happen in 33% of low income families, compared to 16% in middle class families.
- Women laugh (and show their teeth) an average of 62 times per day. Men laugh just 8 times per day.
- Dentistry is the 5th most trusted profession in this country.
- Out of 100, the average score patients give to a dentist in terms of their trust, honesty, delivery of quality care and interpersonal skills, is 61.
- Around $2 billion is spent every Halloween. This is enough to keep a dental clinic running for at least six years.
- In a study across the United Kingdom, it was found that 50% of men wanted teeth whitening. Interestingly, just 35% of women also wanted to have this procedure completed.
- 94% of people in this country brush their teeth at night, compared to 81% who brush in the morning.
- Periodontal disease is incredibly common in this country and it is often untreated.
- The very first floss made available on the market was made from silk. Today, manufacturers use Gore-Tex, a fiber that is also used in many outdoor and survivalist clothing.
- Only 28% of people floss every day.
- Tooth decay is untreated in 33% of cases.
- The chance of experiencing tooth decay is increased by 62% if you drink three bottles of soda every day.
The bottom line is simple. You must maintain your oral hygiene in order to avoid oral diseases. A smile paints a thousand pictures, as they say, and it is vital that your smile actually looks really good. This can only be achieved if you do what you are supposed to do: brush for two minutes twice per day and floss after every brush as well. Do not, however, go over the top and brush and flush more often than that.