In the US where top designer eye wear brands such as Oliver Peoples were originally founded, more than 55% of adults lose or break their sunglasses every year. But https://essayclick.net/ the district is not committing to the construction contracts. This means that when we invest in a new pair of shades for our summer holiday, more than half of us will have to splash the cash again the following year. Whilst losing or breaking glasses is the obvious way to drastically cut the longevity of your eye wear, there is a silent killer that sometimes goes undetected…until you can no longer see out of your lenses that is.
Yes, I am talking about those seemingly unavoidable scratches and scuffs. A small nick here and there won’t stop you from wearing your glasses straightaway. But if you fail to address the scratches and scuffs as they emerge, the effects on your can be blinding.
First of all, it is a good idea to be more acutely aware of the sort of thing that is likely to cause damage to your eye wear- and try to avoid it.
We invite scratches and scuffs to dominate our lenses without even realising. It is the small things that we do every day that can have a lasting impact.
- Transporting your glasses without a case in your handbag or in your pocket can encourage marks. Without a glasses case, you leave your lenses open to contact with other items; keys, loose change, pens etc.
- Placing your glasses face down on rough or hard surfaces can be detrimental. Lots of us have done it- placed your glasses down carelessly in a restaurant or on the beach.
- A bad cleaning job can destroy lenses. In fact, it is probably the biggest cause. Wiping your lens with your shirt tail or with a tissue doesn’t do anything in the way of cleaning. The dirt becomes trapped in your clothing and you simply wipe the grains around the lenses- scratching as you go.
Simple actions and purchases can prevent you from needing to repair your glasses in the first place. Purchase a sturdy , invest in suitable cleaning materials such as a microfiber cloth and try not to leave your glasses lying around.
How to revive your glasses
Got a big scratch in your Oliver Peoples? Don’t despair just yet. There are certain little tricks that you can try that might just save your favourite pair of shades. The method used to repair your glasses will depend entirely on what material they are made of. Are they glass or plastic lenses?
Fixing glass lenses
Glass lenses are usually more scratch resistant. Unfortunately, this means that once the glass does get scuffed, the lens contains a deep gouge that can prove difficult to correct. However, if the scratch isn’t too severe there is one thing you can try: Toothpaste.
- Get a tube of white, non- abrasive, non-gel toothpaste. Squeeze a pea-sized drop onto a cotton pad.
- Next, smear the toothpaste over the scratch, wiping in a circular motion.
- Using one side of a microfiber cloth, wipe off the paste.
- Dampen and wipe the lens with the clean side of the microfiber cloth until all of the toothpaste has gone.
Fixing plastic lenses
Plastic lenses are much easier to repair when a scratch unveils itself- dependent on the harshness of the scratch that is. There are a range of household products that can help to fade a scratch on a plastic lens: Polish, petroleum jelly, car wax and (white, non-abrasive) toothpaste can all work well.
- With warm water and soap, thoroughly clean both lenses and then dry them.
- Using one of named household products above, apply a thin coat over the whole lens.
- Using a clean, microfiber cloth, gently rub the cloth in a slow circular motion.
- Repeat if necessary.
Hopefully, when an unwanted scratch appears on your glasses, these methods will help to lessen the impact and allow you to continue wearing your shades. However, if you have invested in a high-quality eye wear brand, you might want to consider replacing your lenses if you cannot revive them.
Oliver Peoples provides a lens replacement service which allows its customers to continue wearing their chosen bespoke frame and simply replace the glass instead. Replacement lenses can be purchased for a relatively low cost and gives customers an alternative to purchasing a brand new pair of altogether.